Homeschooling Background and Basics
By Kathy Ceceri
What is Homeschooling?
Find out how modern homeschooling began and get answers to common questions.
- FAQ: What Homeschooling Parents Want to Know
- Homeschool Glossary
- Names to Know: Education Reformer John Holt
Why Does Homeschooling Work?
Homeschooling offers many advantages over traditional school models. Experts agree homeschooling's flexibility helps kids develop their creativity and critical thinking skills.
- Homeschooling vs School: Where Students Learn Makes a Difference
- What Students Learn: Tailor the Curriculum to Each Child
- How Students Learn: Kids Benefit from Individualized Teaching
- Books To Inspire Homeschoolers
- Hear Educators Talk About Real Learning
First, take a deep breath. The articles here will give you a few ideas that will help you ease into home education.
- 5 Quick-Start Tips
- Public School or Homeschool? Making the Decision
- How to Ease the Transition from School to Homeschool
- Do I Need to Buy a Curriculum?
- Happier Homeschooling: 7 Ways to Set Goals That Fit Your Family
- Make Homeschooling Work for You
Record Keeping and Regulations
It's helpful to keep records of your child's homeschooled years. Find a system that works for you -- it doesn't have to be elaborate or time-consuming.
- What You Need to Know About Homeschooling Requirements
- How to Avoid Problems with Homeschool Regulations
- No-Stress Homeschool Record Keeping
- Everything Counts: Translating What You Do Into School Terms
- Standardized Testing and Homeschooling
Life While Homeschooling
Find out how homeschooling parents take care of their children's educational needs along with all the other things they do.
- How to Combine Work and Homeschool
- How To Solve Common Work-Family Problems
- Cooking Tips for Homeschoolers
- Make Your Kids Boredom-Proof
- Housekeeping Versus Homeschooling
- Take Your Homeschooling Skills to the Job Market
- Learning on the Road
From Homeschool to College
Homeschooling is great preparation for the self-direction and independence college demands. Here's how to help your college-bound students take the next step in their education.
- Going From Homeschool to College
- Get Ready for College: 5 Steps Homeschooling Teens Can Take Now
- Don't Sweat the SAT
- Prepare a Narrative Homeschool Transcript
- Write a Letter That Will Get Your Child Into College
- How to Write a Homeschooling Philosophy Statement
- Homeschooling Students and Letters of Recommendation
- Review: Don't Go Back to School by Kio Stark
Myths and Misconceptions
Chances are you've heard some of these claims about homeschooling. Here's the story behind the cliches.
- Don't Believe the Homeschool Critics
- More Homeschooling Myths Debunked
- Homeschooling Studies And Statistics (And Why You Shouldn't Trust Them)