These state unit studies are designed to help children learn the geography of the United States and learn factual information about every state. These studies are great for children in the public and private education system as well as homeschooled children.
Print the United States Map and color each state as you study it. Keep map at the front of your notebook for use with each state.
Print the State Information Sheet and fill in the information as you find it.
Print the Illinois State Outline Map and fill in the state capital, large cities and state attractions that you find.
Answer the following questions on lined paper in complete sentences.
- State Capital What is
- State Flag Why was "Illinois" added to the flag?
- State Flower What is the state flower?
- State Prairie Grass What is the state prairie grass?
- State Animal When was the state animal made official?
- State Bird Who selected the state bird?
- State Fish How big does this fish get?
- State Fossil What is the Tully Monster?
- State Mineral What is this mineral used for?
- State Tree What was the state tree changed to?
- State Insect Who suggested this state insect?
- State Song Who wrote the state song?
- State Dance What is the official dance?
- State Seal What was changed on the new seal?
- State Motto What is the state motto?
Illinois Printable Pages - Learn more about Illinois with these printable worksheets and coloring pages.
Illinois State Symbols Quiz How much do you remember?
Fun in the Kitchen - Learn how to make a Chicago Style Hot Dog - watch those peppers though!
Did You Know... List two interesting facts.
Word Search - Print out the word search and find the state related words.
Illinois State Symbols Game - Test your knowledge of the symbols.
Do You Know? - Fun facts about Illinois.
- Historic Route 66 - The official website of the Illinois Route 66 Scenic Byway.
- Chicago, Illinois is where the Mother Road begins.
Envirofun - Learn about the environment and have some fun with:
- Middle Riddle: A picture riddle with an environmental message.
- How to Put Worms to Work for You: How to build a compost bin
- Make a Water Cycle Wheel
- Litter Hunt
Illinois Prairies - A prairie is a type of grassland. The name comes from the French word for "meadow."
Wings, Stings, and Leggy Things: Insects of Illinois - Learn about common insects of Illinois. Includes insect vocabulary, facts, and fun things.
At Home in the Heartland Online - Family life in Illinois from 1700 to the present. Meet real people and share in their decision making.
Shedd Aquarium - Explore the animals at the Shedd Aquarium. Don't miss the interactive story of Kayavak.
Chicago Fire - Learn about this amazing fire that destroyed thousands of buildings and read about one young girl's narrow escape.
Robert Pershing Wadlow - Meet the "gentle giant."
Geography Game - Find the state.
Odd Illinois Law: Catching fish with dynamite was forbidden.