Teaching different grade levels at the same time can be challenging. Here are some tips to help accomplish this task.
Time Required: varies
- Make a schedule including commitments and activities for each family member.
- Set up your work area so you can easily help each child.
- Set up a quiet area for difficult assignments, away from toddler noise and interruptions.
- Begin each day together with a set routine.
- Schedule time with each child for individual instruction as needed.
- Teach subjects together when possible, as a unit study or choose a book that is in between the grade levels.
- Work on the same theme or topic, covering the material together, then do grade appropriate assignments.
- Have older children work with younger children when possible.
- Patience is important. If you get overwhelmed, take a break and try again later.
- Math and grammar will probably need to be taught individually.