1. Education

How can I make homeschooling more fun?

By March 7, 2012

A forum member and new homeschooler needs tips on relaxing the "typical school routine and schedule" and making homeschooling more fun and enjoyable. Let's offer a helping hand...

"I just started homeschooling my 7 year old 2 weeks ago and she is already complaining that it is not much fun. OK...so I realize I am a newbie and still feel the pressure of keeping up an academic schedule. I go from bible study to math, phonics, reading, writing.... I feel like we are just checking off our lessons on a list. I know (I hope!) I will ease up with time...I have one foot "out of the box"...I am just still a little anxious and nervous about doing this "right". So what can I do to make this more "fun" for her? She told me that "they always use to color and cut things in school and do fun stuff like that". She is at the end of 1st grade..any advice?" ~USAFfamily

Did you experience the same thing? How did you overcome the "school at home" mentality? What do you do to make your school time more fun and enjoyable?
Let's offer a helping hand...

Comments

March 31, 2009 at 3:42 pm
(1) Cristina says:

I definitely had that problem when I began homeschooling my oldest. Some things that helped were getting out of the house regularly for walks and library visits. We would do math by counting as we walked. As she got older we practiced the times tables this way. We also would play games like Find the Noun/verb/adjective by pointing out things along our walk that fit. (example: a noun might be a tree we passed, while a verb would be swaying, and an adjective for it would be tall.)
Using the library often has helped with reading more than anything. Being able to pick out their own books is empowering.
Letters to family, friends, authors, etc. is a great way to get your child writing. When their letters are answered it inspires them to write more.
I also use my children’s toys for everything from counting to model building to help them understand concepts I’m teaching.

I hope this isn’t too long! I hope it helps.

March 31, 2009 at 5:53 pm
(2) Jessica says:

I was homeschooled from 2nd grade on and when we started I felt that way too. My mom sat us down at desks and set up “school at home” and we were bored to tears. She soon learned that homeschool was the best when it looked nothing like school. For us we still had a daily schedule, but she allowed us more freedom of what we had to do and when we had to do it. We knew what our assignments were and we were given more freedom to complete them. I would also suggest more field trips, art projects or things to break up the other subjects. Or even try doing a day of something she really likes or breaking the subject up into different days. You could also try co-ops once a week to get some difference in the week. The great thing about homeschool is the flexibility to make it really fun!

April 1, 2009 at 2:52 am
(3) Mary says:

My advice would be to “deschool” for awhile–at least the rest of this school year and summer.Follow her interests–cutting,pasting,painting,going to the library,the zoo,the beach or the pool…leave the academics for if and when she shows an interest.I did this with my four,and we never went back to “school at home”.They all survived happily.One runs his own business now,and the other three are in college…
Most of all,have fun learning new things together,on your own schedule.Forget how schools do it – you are free of all that now,and will be much better for it.

April 7, 2009 at 8:19 am
(4) Rachael says:

I homeschool my grade 2 boy. I’ve found he enjoys a lot of interactive learning games online and there are lots out there. We’re learning about money at the moment so we use play money alot to add it up and he enjoys playing “shops” where he has to work out how much money he is given and what he can buy from the “shop” that I set up with pricetags on household items.We’ve branched off from this by him choosing recipes from a book, copying it out into his workbook,then going to the shops and buying the ingredients adding the cost up as we go.Then comes the fun bit of cooking! The main thing to rememember is to take the lead from your daughter. Find something that she really enjoys and run with it. Let your daughter be the teacher. Ask what she would like to learn about and study it together.

March 10, 2011 at 5:30 pm
(5) Alexandra says:

Try library and museum(zoo) visits, and some hands-on projects. Maybe take a stab at notebooking(color, cut and paste). See where that goes. Her preferred learning style may show itself, and you can go from there searching out and experimenting with curricula and homeschool styles(research online). Spend some time observing her in various learning environments and follow her lead. I’d add new things slowly. You may need to just tweak what you already have going. It sounds like she’d like more hands-on crafty creative learning added(related to what she is covering).

March 12, 2011 at 5:47 pm
(6) Lanthanum says:

Make sure exercise is part of the curriculum. Otherwise, students will become very restless and bored.

March 21, 2011 at 10:08 pm
(7) Krysten says:

I have a resource list of hundreds of websites that have lesson activties. Printable work and color sheets, arts and crafts that realate to your main subjects and there are so many other ways to entertain and learn. Art is a very good help. Allows them to use their imagination which is always fun, and you can turn any subject into a form of art. My family is very artistic and craft. I have four children and I can sit them down at the table together with a box of crafts stuff and they play for hours.

March 23, 2011 at 5:00 pm
(8) cece valentine says:

One thing beginning homeschoolers dont realize is that U dont have to be “up” all day. There are many learning opportunities in prepring meals, doing laundry, feeding pets or, if on a farm, dealing with farm activities. U do not have to perform for your child. Try to identify goals for your child and then meet those goals when going about your daily activities. Then, the trip to the library or the local museum and to the park will be recreation and a fun learning activity, too.

March 24, 2011 at 4:28 pm
(9) Shiniga Ratish says:

So here I can see that, the child is not inspired to learn. Thats why it turns out to be boring. My suggestion would be to use “The TJEd Closet” to inspire the child to learn. The TJEd Closet helps in creating magical learning environment for kids. This is a concept I came across recently. For more info http://home-school-coach.com/closet-the-basic-home-schooling-tool/