A well-stocked library is a great addition to your homeschooling years, but how can we afford one? Here are some ideas of how to obtain books and curriculum
Time Required: Varies
- Check yard sales for used books.
- Look at your local thrift stores often.
- Check your used book stores, but watch the prices.
- Go to book sales at your local library.
- Check online used books and curriculum sites, don't forget to figure in shipping.
- Go to auctions and swap meets.
- Watch book club flyers and catalogs like Scholastic Books and Christian Book Distributors.
- Attend local homeschool used book/curriculum sales.
- Check out warehouse/discount stores.
- Set up a swap circle with your homeschooling friends.
- Make an offer on the whole box of books at sales and resell the ones you don't want.
- Shop early for best selection; however, sometimes you'll get better deals at the end of a sale.
- If you order books online, request book rate, it is much cheaper.
- Take advantage of birthdays and Christmas to help stock your library.
- Have cash on hand when shopping and a list of books you are looking for.