1. Education

Kathy Ceceri

Homeschoolers Gift Guide: What's on Your Wish List?

By November 29, 2012

microscopeMaybe I'm a bit of a Scrooge, but I'm a firm believer in presents that are practical. By the time my kids were school age, whenever generous relatives asked what they wanted for a holiday or special occasion, I always suggested something we could use for homeschooling. After all, we were on a tight budget -- and space was tight, too.

So instead of toys that would soon be left to clutter up the house, I would pull out my wish list and ask for things our friends and family might not have thought of.  Here are some ideas that I think make great gifts for homeschoolers, but I'm sure there's a slew that I missed. What's on your homeschooling wish list?

Image: Kathy Ceceri

Comments

November 30, 2012 at 11:01 am
(1) Laura says:

Same here, practical! Sure we get some funny and meaningful gifts, but the emphasis here is on something that will really benefit our kids. Studies continue to show that gifts of experience bring the most lasting pleasure, so we like to ask the relatives for these kinds of gifts:

an afternoon of horseback riding, canoeing, rock climbing, or sharing one-on-one with the kids what they really enjoy

attending a concert ,play, music festival, con, or other event

hands-on time doing a project together or materials to do a project

gifts that keep giving, like magazine subscriptions, tickets to ongoing events, or monthly time to do something together

sponsored lessons (basically money to cover music lessons, physics camp, museum clubs, whatever)

Works for us!

November 30, 2012 at 4:03 pm
(2) Kathy Ceceri, About.com Homeschooling Guide says:

Great ideas! Thanks for sharing, Laura.

December 3, 2012 at 4:44 pm
(3) HG says:

We always asked for specific magazine subscriptions Highlight, Big Backyard, National Geographic for kids. The gift was exactly what they wanted and the gift lasted all year.

December 3, 2012 at 5:38 pm
(4) sheila says:

My wish list is stuff for school. We could use some new reading books. We do have enough pencils, crayons and such. But I would use them if someone got them for me. I would like things for the class. Decorations would be nice. A little sweeper to leave down stairs in the class room. Well needed things I would not really buy unless I really have too.

December 4, 2012 at 1:39 am
(5) toma andreea says:

Hi
I think it’s very important to spend time with your kids doing fun things…we can use creative kits, decorating the house or just iceskating…
what do you think?
I’ve just wanted to say that , here in Romania, the idea of homeschooling represents a taboo and it’s considered very bold…we should detail this subject more…

thanks
andreea

December 12, 2012 at 9:18 am
(6) tsmama says:

Time4Learning just created gift certificates, so I’m hoping grandma and grandpa help us fund next semester’s funnest homeschool curriculum!! :D https://www.time4learning.com/gifts/gift_certificate.aspx